Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Watermelon nail art

Hey guys! Today I want to show you one of the first few nail art designs that I started out doing - watermelon nails!! They're really easy to do and you don't even need any proper tools. When I just started out, I had no tools whatsoever, not even an orange stick. My only tools back then were skewer sticks and toothpicks so you can totally make do with those if you have them.

This is not my first attempt at watermelon nails, #357 would sound about right. Just kidding. This is possibly my 6/7th time doing these nails. They are so fun to do and if you mess up, well, keep on trying.

I only have 2 decent pictures (yes, I'm a great photographer):

Taken with flash

Taken indoors under yellow lighting

I used Love & Beauty - Red, Sally Hansen - Lickety Split Lime, China Glaze - White on White and a black nail art pen.

I may or may not have tried to cover some booboos that I made on my nails, hehe. 

So you want to know how I did these nails?

Okay, first I painted two coats of red polish and waited for them to dry. Then I taped about half an inch from the tip and painted one thick coat of Lickety Split Lime and peeled the tape off quickly. Using a striper brush and White on White, I created that white line between the red and green polish. Finally, I used a large dotting tool to create the watermelon seeds.

I might have been over-enthusiastic when dotting on the seeds which is why they turned out bigger than I intended them to be. >< My lines are uneven but I'm proud of all my nail art imperfections and you should be too. Perfect? Pfft, ain't nobody got time for that ;)

Have you done watermelon nails before? Did you like how they turned out? Would you try doing watermelon nails if you've never done them before? Who likes watermelons in general? I know I do.

Thanks for reading! You are awesome!

24 comments:

  1. Hey, great fun, these nails! Thanks for joining our party. BTW. did you notice that little product that I am recommending at the end of my Halloween nails article the other day on our blog, the Fine Craft Guild? I think you might like it: it helps you to make perfect thin lines, in 1 go. Oh la la.... what a time saver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose. Thanks so much. Really? I'll go check it out :)

      Delete
  2. So cute!! Love that you went with a summery fruit too - no need to admit that it's fall yet ;)

    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Bailey. Yep, no need. The weather here is perpetually warm so any time is a good time for watermelon nails. :DD

      Delete
  3. cute! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute nails! I've pinned these to my nail art board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog on "I love my post" and I do love this post. What a lovely idea, very original. Loved your blog so have followed, i'm looking forward to your next tutorial.

    http://emmalschwarz.blogspot.co.uk

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma! Thanks so much for following! I'm glad you like my designs. This means a lot to me :)

      Delete
  6. So cool :)!
    xx Belinda

    www.fringe-buttercup.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I've always wanted to try a watermelon mani. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  8. This is adorable. I recently had a similar kind of strawberry nails and ppl are def always looking. ;) So well done with that eye catcher!
    xo,
    Luchessa.org
    Ps: found your blog through the I Love My Post blog hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luchessa. Thanks for coming by. Yes fruity nails are eye-catchers! :)

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. I love reading comments - they make my day! I always and eventually reply to comments because I appreciate receiving feedback.
If you're reading an old post of mine and love it, don't hesitate to comment. I love seeing love for my designs/posts no matter when I post them.
If you like my blog, please feel free to follow me on Twitter, Tumblr or Pinterest as well. xx